It was not easy, but we knew we had to accept this as God's will if Jacob was to be born with a different hand. We knew there would be a special reason for this, even if we didn't learn about it for years. We are thankful that we found out about it early since it gave us time to meet with a hand specialist at Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago and time to process and prepare in the remaining months of the pregnancy.
Although I had accepted it, I still had some anxiety right before his birth, since we really didn't know what to expect! I was afraid to see his hand for the first time. I was nervous that he wouldn't have any fingers, or that he wouldn't have a hand at all. As a 'mother', I cannot explain how hard this whole thing was for me.
Jacob was born with a smaller palm and 2 small fingers on each end that curve inward. I took one look at his beautiful face and was instantly head over heels in love with him!!! And I love his little hand. It is the cutest little hand I have ever seen. I kiss it all the time. I now understand the unconditional, amazing, powerful, life-changing love that a mother has for her child. I was in love and knew I would do anything and everything to take the best care of this little blessing!
My best friend Amber, who is currently living in Italy, will be running a 26 mile marathon in Athens on November 8th in honor of Jacob and his little buddy Ethan, who was born with a cleft soft palate. All donations raised will be going to Children's Memorial Hospital in Jacob's & Ethan's name! How awesome is that?!??! I have the best friends in the whole world!
Here is the link if you are interested in making a donation and reading about her decision to run the marathon and fundraise for the boys!
http://www.firstgiving.com/runforchildren
No comments:
Post a Comment