Monday, May 9, 2016

Treasured Friend

"Close friends are truly life's treasures. Sometimes they know us better than we know ourselves. With gentle honesty, they are there to guide and support us, to share our laughter and our tears. Their presence reminds us that we are never really alone."    -Vincent Van Gogh


This beautiful gal - inside and out - has been an incredible friend for over 23 years. She is one of the kindest, most selfless people I have ever known, so it didn't surprise me when she said she would come to visit over Mother's Day weekend: to help out and keep me company, so I wouldn't be alone on Mother's Day. Such a sweet, thoughtful lady with a heart of gold!

I was so excited for Katie's visit! I picked her up from the airport with the boys - who were just as excited as I - and we stopped for Mexican on the way home. We had so much fun catching up and reminiscing about our high school years that we couldn't wait to get home to pull out the yearbooks!

Reunited and it feels so good!!!

We shared funny stories about teachers...
...and lame crushes on teachers (haha)

I loved having Katie in Georgia with us. My kids did as well. She is so good with them and showers them with attention. She even joined in the fun at Matty's karate class one morning! Now that is a good mom friend! Matty was so grateful (as was this 8 month old pregnant mama!)


We showed Katie around Buford and some of our favorite spots. While Jacob was at school, we stopped at the Sugar Hill Bakery & Cafe with Matty for a lovely lunch.

Matt felt special that he got a "grown up glass" and pretended to drink from a goblet


Matty enjoyed dining with the ladies :)
One night we got a sitter and went out just us girls! We went to Milton's and enjoyed a beautiful evening dining al fresco, with live music on the patio. We indulged in amazing southern comfort food and delicious dessert. It was a sweet evening - I will always have a special memory of this dinner with you, Katie! (I also have a special memory of finding the boys cuddling together in Jake's bed, asleep, after we got home!)


The next morning was Mother's Day! We brought Katie with us to Sugar Hill Church for a great service, then to The Flying Biscuit for Mother's Day brunch and - oh my biscuits - they (the biscuits) were spectacular! They were light and fluffy and covered in a light dusting of sugar crystals. Amazing. Happy Mother's Day to us!

The boys & I at Sugar Hill Church on Sunday, Mother's Day
It was a gorgeous, warm, sunny day so we enjoyed a low-key day of relaxing and playing outside.

Katie being a good sport with the boys - letting them trace her. haha
Matty really took a special liking to "Miss Katie"

We decided that no mom should have to cook on Mother's Day, including ourselves, so we did a simple sandwich bar instead :) The boys loved it. We loved not having to cook. And it didn't matter what we were eating, we were sitting outside together on a beautiful day!

The boys always enjoy dinner on the deck, especially when we have guests
Having Katie at our home was wonderful! She adds such joy and positive energy! I enjoyed showing her our home in Georgia, catching up, going for walks in the neighborhood, whipping up some amazing Paula Dean pulled pork sliders, dining out, her moment of fame at karate, our date at Milton's.. she even came with on Jake's first field trip AND attended a prenatal/ultrasound appointment with me. Thank you, Katie! I was so blessed to have you with me at that appointment - and you're one of only a few who got to see Stella before she was born! :)

Thank you again for sacrificing your time to be here. I am so blessed to call you friend!

1 comment:

  1. NICOLE!!!!! Oh my heavens! I am going to need a cold compress and a second application of eye cream before i go to bed. YOU MY DEAR are an incredible friend and I am just so humbled by this blog tribute. As we approach Mother's Day Weekend, I have been thinking much about this fabulous trip with you and your boys, and have been thinking about this time we shared. It will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart. Your photographs and beautiful writing made it all come alive again, and it was so fun to relive. I love you so much sweet friend and am just so blessed to be your friend! I'll stand in for Karate with Matty or Chalk Drawings with Jake any time! I can't wait to actually "meet" Stella outside of the womb, and I can't wait to HUG you BIG Stateside Soon!! (Sorry, Dan didn't get any love--Hugs for you too Dan!!) XOXO, Salz

    ReplyDelete