Today I return back to work at the American Cancer Society. With mixed emotions. It is hard to believe almost 12 weeks have passed since Jake was born. My maternity leave did not feel that long!
I am returning with the intention to 'give it a try' and am hoping for a part-time option. When Jacob was first born I couldn't imagine leaving him to go to work. But then there were days when I realized how tough it was to be a 'stay at home mom' (already! ha) and work started to sound like a vacation! HA! Plus, I really do enjoy my job and I miss my coworkers. But now that it is officially time to go back, I look into my son's eyes and it hurts to leave him! I don't think I even realize yet how hard this is going to be.
Fortunately, we do not have to go the 'daycare' route. Dan's mom has flexibility in her schedule to watch Jacob during the week and my mom doesn't work on Wednesdays. If I was having to leave him in daycare right now, my heart would absolutely break. I couldn't stand it.
I always pictured myself being a stay at home mom, and Dan feels strongly about me staying home with Jake. Going down to one income would be a sacrifice, but as Dan said, "the best gift we can give Jake right now is to have his Mommy home with him."
I am 'easing' back in this week with the Thanksgiving holiday off and next week I plan to work M-W-F. I am hoping that a part time position will be available at my current job. If not, it may be time to transition back into education, and substitute teach 1-2 days per week. We shall see!!
P.S. Jake woke up at 2:30, then again at 5:50. Didn't think it would happen 2 nights in a row, but I was hoping! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment